Industry sales data reveals Australians have purchased 7618 electric vehicles so far this year, across 23 models. But which model grade within each range is most popular? We source the numbers to find out.
Each month, Australia’s chief new-car industry body – the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries – publishes VFACTS reports detailing the sales of every make and new car, SUV, ute and van model in the country.
However, the data is limited when it comes to electric vehicle sales, particularly those based on existing petrol cars – and sheds little to no light on buyer preferences by model grade.
Small cars, SUVs and vans
- Hyundai Ioniq Electric – Elite base model ($49,970), 62.4 per cent
- Hyundai Kona Electric – Highlander Extended Range top-spec ($64,000), 37.4 per cent
- Kia Niro EV – S base model ($62,590), 70 per cent
- Mazda MX-30 Electric – one model on sale ($65,490)
- MG ZS EV (pre-order data, due in July) – Essence flagship $49,990
- Nissan Leaf – 40kWh base model ($50,990), 63 per cent
- Renault Kangoo – one model on sale ($50,390)
Mid-size cars and SUVs
- Hyundai Ioniq 5 – 225kW AWD flagship ($75,900), 67.5 per cent
- Kia EV6 – GT-Line AWD flagship ($82,990), 51 per cent (with a higher percentage seen in pending orders)
Small cars and SUVs
- Lexus UX300e – Sports Luxury flagship ($81,000), 80 per cent
- Mercedes-Benz EQA – one model on sale ($76,800)
- Mini Cooper SE – Classic and Mini Yours tie ($55,650 to $62,825), 50 per cent each
- Volvo C40 Recharge (pre-order data, due after July) – Twin Motor flagship ($82,490), 92 per cent
- Volvo XC40 Recharge Pure Electric – Twin Motor flagship ($79,990), 96 per cent
Mid-size cars and SUVs
- BMW i4 – eDrive40 entry model ($99,900), 55 per cent
- BMW iX3 – one model on sale ($114,900)
- Jaguar I-Pace – SE and HSE tie ($142,580 to $155,550), 50 per cent each
- Mercedes-Benz EQC – data not provided by Mercedes-Benz Australia (two models, $124,300 to $141,300)
- Polestar 2 – Long Range Dual Motor flagship ($69,900 until recently)
- Tesla Model 3 – RWD entry model ($63,900), 81 per cent (according to Carloop)
Bonus: Polestar 2 Long Range Dual Motor is followed “closely” by Long Range Single Motor, and then Standard Range Single Motor.
Large cars and SUVs
- Audi E-Tron – Sportback 55 quattro ($159,900), under 30 per cent
- BMW iX – xDrive40 base/Sport (from $135,900), 82 per cent
- Porsche Taycan – 4S ($198,800)