Jaguar Land Rover opened a new facility in Coventry, England, to service the manufacturer’s classic cars. June 14, the opening date, also marks the 64th anniversary of Jaguar’s Le Mans win in a C-type driven by Duncan Hamilton and Tony Rolt in 1953, the first victory for a disc-braked car at the circuit.
Le Mans-winning C-type, D-type, and XJR-9 race cars from the Jaguar Heritage Trust, located at the British Motor Museum in Gaydon, were present at the opening.
The premises make space for a total of 480 cars
Jaguar Land Rover Classic Works’ new 150,000-square-foot facility has 54 individual workshop bays and strip down areas to service vehicles in addition to a dedicated engine shop. The premises make space for a total of 480 cars.
Andy Wallace, who drove the Le Mans-winning XJR-9 in 1988, is the chief test driver for the facility. His role is to give the final assessment on cars before they are returned to clients.
1957 D-type cars, which placed 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, will embark on a road tour this summer following the Classic Works’ opening.
They’ll begin in Coventry and make their way down to Hampton Court Palace for the Concours of Elegance, held September 1-3.